TWiLight Menu++ FAQ & Troubleshooting
For more FAQs, please visit the GBAtemp thread.
Why does my 3DS / 2DS get stuck on black screens, crash, power off, etc when launching TWiLight Menu++? #
TWL_FIRM might’ve somehow got corrupted. Follow this guide to fix the issue: https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#dsi--ds-functionality-is-broken-after-completing-the-guide
How do I fix getting a white screen when booting TWiLight Menu++? #
- First, try putting the console in sleep mode (e.g. closing the console’s lid, or pressing the sleep button on the O2DS), then wake up the console from it
- If that doesn’t work, format your SD card to FAT32 with 32 KB cluster/allocation size
- If that also doesn’t work, try a different SD card
Where is the Acekard/Wood UI theme? #
The acekard (also called Wood UI) theme was removed due to its buggy behaviour and causing SD Card corruption. Please wait for a fix. Progress for the return of this theme can be found in this PR.
How do I fix TWiLight Menu++ restarting or giving a Guru Meditation Error when launching a game? #
Go into TWLMenu++ Settings, and disable
Update recently played list.
Why do I get a white screen when trying to load a game from SD card? #
- First, check the nds-bootstrap compatibility list and make sure your game is compatible
- Try with all cheats disabled for that game as some cheats are not compatible with nds-bootstrap at the moment, you can use L to disable all cheats for a game
- If it worked before, delete the
How do I use cheats? #
You need to have a cheat DB in the form of a
usrcheat.dat file in the
sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/extras/ folder. The most updated cheat database is DeadSkullzJr’s.
- On the 3DS, this database is available in the Universal-Updater app as “NDS Cheat Databases.” This will automatically install it to the required location.
Alternatively, you can use r4cce to create your own cheat DB.
How do I show a custom picture on the top screen of the DSi theme? #
.png image in
sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/dsimenu/photos/ will be shown each time the menu is loaded.
- The images(s) must be no bigger than 208x156
- If you have errors, it’s most likely an error with the image size. Please use tinypng to reduce the size
How do I get games? #
- On DS you can use GodMode9i to dump your GBA games and, if you have a Slot-2 flashcard, DS games
- On DSi you can use GodMode9i to dump your DS games and DSiWare
- On 3DS you can use GodMode9 to dump your DS games, DSiWare, and Virtual Console titles
Can I get the save files from my game cards onto my SD card or vice versa? #
How do I change TWiLight Menu++’s language? #
- Open TWiLight Menu++ settings, you can do this by holding SELECT while loading TWiLight Menu++
- Press L or Y once (on flashcard / 3DS) or twice (on DSi)
- Change the first option until you see the language you want, then exit settings
- You may also want to change the next two options as they control the language of DS games and their titles in TWiLight Menu++
Is this a DS(i) emulator? #
No, this is not an emulator. The menu and DS games (loaded via nds-bootstrap) are ran natively in the console’s DS/DSi mode. The only consoles emulated are the past consoles, but partially for GBA (as some or all parts like graphics are ran natively).
What systems does TWiLight Menu++ support? #
|Atari 2600||StellaDS|| |
|Atari 5200||A5200DS|| |
|Atari 7800||A7800DS|| |
|Atari XEGS||XEGS-DS|| |
|DS||nds-bootstrap, flashcard kernel, native|| || |
|DSiWare||Unlaunch, nds-bootstrap|| || |
|DSTWO Plugin||DSTWO3|| |
|Game Boy (Color)||GameYob|| || |
|Game Boy Advance||GBARunner24, native5|| || |
|Game Gear||S8DS|| || |
|Genesis / Mega Drive||jEnesisDS, PicoDriveTWL|| || |
|Master System||S8DS|| || |
|MPEG4 Video||MPEG4 Player|| |
|NES / Famicom||nesDS|| || |
|PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16||NitroGrafx|| |
|RVID Video||Rocket Video Player|| |
|SNES7||SNEmulDS|| || |
Only for retail ROMs, homebrew do not have specific save files ↩
Only works from a SuperCard DSTWO flashcard as it has additional processing power and RAM inside the cartridge ↩
When running in DSi Mode, it can use the DSP for better sound ↩
Requires a Slot-2 flashcard and thus only works on DS Phat and DS Lite ↩
jEnesis can only save when running from a flashcard, but PicoDriveTWL can save from SD and flashcard ↩
Only shown when using a flashcard, 3DS’s internal SD card, or DSi with Unlaunch installed ↩
Can only save when running from a flashcard ↩
Why isn’t touch input working on sudokuhax? #
Depending on the save file of sudokuhax, the touch screen inputs may not work.
Can The Biggest Loser boot TWiLight Menu++? #
No. As The Biggest Loser is a Slot-1 game, and not a DSiWare game, SD access is disabled when running Slot-1 cards.