Creating RAM Disks
Some DS homebrew are incapable of properly accessing the SD card filesystem. Because of this, it may be necessary to load a standalone filesystem into the RAM containing the necessary files for your homebrew in order for it to work.
The software used here requires the Windows operating system.
You do not need to follow this if you’re using a flashcard.
To make a RAM disk, download Dataram RAMDisk (click
Download Software), and follow the instructions below.
Instructions by Dakkon7, modified by Rocket Robz:
- Run RAMDisk
- Click View -> Advanced
- For Disk Size, type
12for DSi, or
28for 3DS, above Max 1023 MB
- Un-mark Create TEMP Directory, if it’s already marked
- Click Load/Save
Start RAMDisk, and a new window for your .img should appear
- Place any file and/or folder the homebrew expects there, and/or file(s) you want to use
- In the RAMDisk program, click
Save Disk Image Now
ramdisksfolder in the .nds file location. If it does not exist already, create it
Stop RAMDiskwhen you’re done
- In TWiLight Menu++, open the per-game settings for your homebrew
- Set RAM disk to 0
- Launch your homebrew, and it should read your RAM disk
If you wish to use the other RAM disk slots for a single homebrew application, use the
.img1 extension for RAM disk slot 1, and so on.
Need help? Join our Discord server: DS⁽ⁱ⁾ Mode Hacking! (English only)