nds-bootstrap FAQ & Troubleshooting
Why do I get a white screen when trying to load a game from SD card?
- First, check the the nds-bootstrap compatibility list and make sure your game is compatible
- Try with all cheats disabled for that game as some cheats are not compatible with nds-bootstrap at the moment, you can use L to disable all cheats for a game
- If it worked before, delete the
If you get issues with using the latest version of nds-bootstrap, here’s how you could troubleshoot it.
- Run the game with different settings, including changing the ARM9 CPU Speed, DS/DSi Mode, sound quality, Card Read DMA, etc
- Delete the
- It’s probably not that big of an issue; ask in the Discord server
If the server says it’s an nds-bootstrap issue, check if the game hasn’t been reported already on GitHub. Check the closed issues too in case we had one issue closed in preference a different one. If it doesn’t have any GitHub issue attached to it, go ahead and make a new one.
Also, make sure you add it to the compatibility list on Google Sheets.
Why are there issues with ROM loading, even though they’re run natively?
nds-bootstrap patches the ROM functions to run from an SD card, as the ROMs are hardcoded to read from Slot-1. There are also timing issues and AP measures (which most are already removed), both of which would cause the ROMs to not work properly.
Why use nds-bootstrap over a regular flashcard?
- Certain compatible ROMs are loaded into RAM, allowing for load times to be faster than even normal cartridges
- You can expand the VRAM memory bus to 32-bit
- Utilize the DSi’s additional CPU speed, allowing for better performance in some games
- Enhance your audio with 48 kHz
- Use DSi mode, allowing for DSi features
- Using certain cartridges, you are able to use IR in your application
- nds-bootstrap is open source, meaning developers can always update it to fix bugs and other things, even if the project gets discontinued
- The DS Memory Expansion Pak is emulated, meaning games that require that accessory will work
- Swap top and bottom screens in compatible games for more comfortable gameplay, or on systems with a broken or removed screen
Most SDK5 games can be selected as a Donor ROM (which can be done via TWiLight Menu++). The Donor ROM’s ARM7 binary is copied by nds-bootstrap and replaces the ARM7 binary for the game that it is trying to run. This allows certain and SDK5 games to boot and save.
What is a nightly and where do I get it?
A nightly build is build for the latest commit. Nightly builds may be unstable, but has the most recent bugfixes added. You can get nightly builds for nds-bootstrap here.
Why do my cheats not work?
The way E cheat types are implemented in nds-bootstrap is broken, meaning they’d only work half of the time. Your cheat probably uses that type. It is not a fault of the cheat database, but rather a fault of nds-bootstrap. Please do not request these cheats to get deleted from the DB.
For more info on cheats, look here.